Road network coverage
Based on information contained in the current Five Year Strategic Plan,
- The Public Road Network coverage by end June 2016 remained 15.451km out of which about 28% are paved and 72% is earth/gravel surface.
- Road re-classification studies done in 2016 identified about 9,478km of undesignated road network that serve the rural communities.
- The main, secondary and tertiary roads effectively make up the country’s core network, with remaining roads acting as feeder system.
- Road handles more than 70% on internal freight and 99 of passenger traffic
- Road transport handles more than 90% of international freight and passenger traffic
- It is due to this large volume of internal freight and passenger traffic that Malawi Government has given high priority to maintenance and construction of roads in Malawi.
- It is actually estimated that 55% of the costs of production are taken up by transportation costs in Malawi compared to 17% of other developing countries.
- The condition of paved road network as at June 2014 is 38% good, 40% fair and 22% poor.
Malawi Road Network (June 2016)
|Community Road Network (undesignated)||0||–||9,478||45||9,478||38|
|Total Road Network||4,312||20,617||24,929|